This is a big one!
Another very important distinction that I needed to make before I could start making clear choices in my life, is the fact that we are multifaceted. I know we've all taken at least one psychology class, and I'm sure you remember hearing all about the ID, Ego, and Super-Ego blah blah blah... I never paid much attention, honestly, because it seemed as though our brains are so complicated that it's impossible to see the differences clearly (or maybe I didn't see the need to understand it). Also, either it was left out of the psychology study because it's not "scientific", or maybe I just missed it entirely, but I don't ever remember hearing anything about our Spirit. Understanding that we have a Spirit within us, created by God, a piece of the universal energy of all that is good, helped me to understand why I do the things that I do. That Spirit fights everyday to live openly and freely with our other mind driven Ego logic that is very convincing and Very influenced by all around us. Our Ego's are very important in that they protect us from trauma, to keep us from spiraling into deep depressions or other forms of psychosis, and it gives us strength and determination when the rest of the world tells us it's not possible. We do need our Egos, but they should be a tool, directed by us, instead of something that tells us how to live our lives, as it is for most because we don't know any better.
I never much paid attention to this until I read one book that changed my life for the better, "The Power of Intention" by Dr. Wayne W Dyer. I would say that it's so helpful, and if you have any interest at all, it can clarify many questions, as it did for me. I'll restate the 7 steps for Overcoming you Ego's Hold on You, and for detailed explanations, the book goes much deeper. The steps are as follows:
1. Stop being Offended: That which offends you, only weakens you, and this is your Ego.
2. Let go of your need to Win: Ego loves to divide us up into Winners and Losers
3. Let go of your need to Be Right: Ego is the source of a lot of conflict because it pushes you in the direction of making other people wrong
4. Let go of your need to be Superior: When you project feelings of superiority, that's what you get back, leading to resentments and ultimately hostility
5.Let go of your need to Have More: The Mantra of the Ego is MORE, it's never satisfied, no matter how much you achieve, it will never be enough
6. Let go of identifying yourself on the basis of your Achievements: All things are created Through you, not By you, as everything emanates from our Source Energy
7. Let go of your Reputation: Reputation comes from other people's perceptions that you can't control..he states "Leave your reputation for others to debate, for it has nothing to do with you"
If you are feeling any of the above feelings, it is your Ego directing your action or reactions...
Our Spirits are speaking when you are doing something for the pure peace, joy, and happiness it brings you, and nothing else... I know for me, making life choices for these reasons are SO much more satisfying then any of the goals my Ego has given me. =-)
Namaste (which means in summation: Everything good, kind and loving in me, my Spirit, recognizes Everything good, kind and loving in you, your Spirit)
Jess
No comments:
Post a Comment