Due to recent, tragic events, I've been bombarded with all kinds of media and social media outlets debating the status of guns and gun violence in this country. Most of the time, the only expressions that I hear/see are those of fear and preparing for some "reality" that most people are not facing. I know for myself, in the past, I oftentimes defined my reality to be that of the world around me (what others have experienced), what it Should be, what I Feared it would be, what it Previously was in my past, but these were more my perceptions of reality then they were my actual reality. I also believe that we take on others' realities as our own, sometimes to feel connected and communal, like we're not alone, or because of raw emotions like fear, jealousy, a need for acceptance, or possibly misguided sympathy (and probably many more). So the way I see it is that people misunderstand their FEAR of reality for BEING their reality....
I looked up the definition of REALITY, and it is as follows:
1. The world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them: "he refuses to face reality".
2. A thing that is actually experienced or seen.
So by these definitions, reality is what's right in front of us, experienced by us as individuals or sometimes groups together, but the individuals in the group are experiencing or seeing the same thing at the same time. If we are acquiring gun protection for a perceived threat because of something that happened to someone else, is that our reality? Even if we're pursuing a firearm because of something that previously happened to us, is that our reality now? I think no...my reality at this point in time is that there is no one holding a gun to my head. Luckily, I've never come across this situation, and I live my life as though I will never be in this situation. If I'm afraid of that happening to me, THAT is a fear, not a reality. I don't want to live my life out of fear. Fear by me, only accelerates fear in others, it's contagious, and that's not good if the "others" are armed. However, luckily for us, so are the feelings of love, compassion and understanding. So then what "contagious", emotional message do you want to share with the world? If you are one that feels like you need a gun to have piece of mind, then I'm not trying to say you shouldn't, but I am trying to bring about your awareness to the fact that if you're reading this post, then no one is holding you hostage at gunpoint. The state of things as they actually exist for you is that you are safe, and loved, and hopefully you can live in peace within That reality :-)
Wishing you and your families and loved ones safety and love, always!
Jess
No comments:
Post a Comment